For sugar cookies so good, everyone will want the recipe.
For the Cut-Out Cookies
· 1 1/2 cups butter softened
· 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (optional)
· 2 large eggs + 1 extra yolk
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
For the icing:
· 2/3 cup half & half
· 1 teaspoon extract flavor of choice
· 4 cups powdered sugar
For the Cut-Out Cookies:
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy—5 minutes. Add the salt, pumpkin pie spice, eggs, and vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
2. Slowly add the flour until the dough in smooth. Then separate the dough and wrap it in 4 separate pieces. Place in the fridge and chill for at least one hour. (Could be made weeks in advance.)
3. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.
4. Remove one disk at a time. Flour a work surface and roll the disk out to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick. Work fast and cut the cookies as close together as possible. The more times you roll out the dough the tougher it gets. Use a thin spatula to transfer the cookies onto the baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 6-9 minutes. Cool completely on the cookie sheets before moving.
For the Sugar Cookie Icing:
Whisk the half & half, extract, and powdered sugar together until smooth. Add food coloring if desired. Dip and face of each cookie into the icing. Use a toothpick to wipe the excess icing off the edges of the cookie and to pop the air bubble in the surface of the icing. Then set on a rack to dry.
Makes 72 small cookies (36 large).
Notes: Is this cookie icing good for piping designs? You can also pipe this icing if you like. It is not quite as firm as royal icing, but the taste and texture are MUCH better! Add 1/2 – 1 cup extra powdered sugar if needed.
Source: “Best Cut-Out Sugar Cookie Recipe with Sugar Cookie Icing”. Recipe. www.aspicyperspective.com. N.p. Web. 18 Oct. 2022.
By Recipe Contributor