Try this savory, smoky, with a hint of bourbon twist on the classic sweet potato casserole…it just may become a Thanksgiving dinner tradition!
· 4 medium sweet potatoes
· 3/4 cup brown sugar
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/4 cup whole milk
· 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
· 2 large eggs, beaten
· 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
· kosher salt
Sweet ‘n’ Savory Bacon Pecans
· 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
· 3/4 cup brown sugar
· 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
· 1 1/2 cups raw pecans roughly chopped
· 6 tablespoons salted butter melted
· 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper *can use more or less to taste
· 2 tablespoons fresh chopped sage
· 1-2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes and bake for 1 hour or until soft and tender. When the sweet potatoes are cooked, slice them in half and allow to cool.
2. Meanwhile, make the bacon pecans. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain onto a paper towel. In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, pecans, butter, cayenne, sage, and rosemary (if using). Stir in the bacon.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Peel the skins away from the flesh of the sweet potato. Add the sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl. Mash well. Mix in the brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, milk, butter, eggs, and bourbon until combined. Season with salt.
4. Spoon the sweet potato mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the pecans evenly over top.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the pecans are golden. Serve warm topped with flaky sea salt.
To Make Ahead: Prepare the casserole through step 4. Cover and store the assembled casserole in the fridge for up to 2 days. To bake, remove the casserole from the fridge while the oven preheats, then bake as directed.
To Make Gluten Free: Use an equal amount of your favorite gluten free flour blend in place of the all-purpose flour.
Source: “Bourbon Sweet Potato Casserole with Sweet ‘n’ Savory Bacon Pecans”. Recipe. www.halfbakedharvest.com. N.p. 11 Nov. 2019. Web. 31 Oct 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Products you buy through our links may earn us a commission which allows us to bring you more great travel content and giveaways.
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!