These crisp and tasty conch fritters are the perfect start to any Caribbean-inspired meal. Make them as an appetizer or a side to compliment the entrée.
• Veggie oil
• 1 lb minced conch meat
• ½ cup finely chopped bell peppers
• 3 cloves minced garlic
• 1 cup flour
• 2 tablespoons cornmeal
• ½ cup milk
• 1 egg
• ¼ teaspoon paprika
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon thyme
• ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• ¼ cup mayo
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 teaspoon paprika
1. In a large, deep pot, heat oil until it reaches 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the conch meat, bell peppers, garlic, flour, and cornmeal.
3. In a measuring cup, whisk together the milk and the egg. Add the egg mixture to the conch mixture and stir until combined.
4. Season batter with paprika, salt, thyme, and cayenne.
5. Using a small cookie scoop, drop batter by spoonful into the hot oil.
6. Cook fritter 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown, turning often.
7. Remove fritters to a paper towel lined baking sheet to drain.
8. Repeat with remaining batter.
9. For the sauce, whisk together the mayo, lime juice and paprika.
Source: “Conch Fritters” Recipe. lemonsforlulu.com. N.p., Jul. 2020. Web. 10 Aug. 2022.
By Karen O'Brien
Did we miss one of your favorites? Reach out to WinniWanderer@winni.com or follow us on our Instagram or Facebook page.