This flavorful Shoyu Ahi Poke is versatile and can be served as an appetizer or when paired with more veggies and rice, a main dish.
· 1 lb fresh sashimi-grade ahi steak chilled and cut into 1-inch cubes*
· 1½ tablespoons soy sauce plus more to taste
· 1 tablespoon sesame oil
· ¾ teaspoon Hawaiian salt ('alaea) plus more to taste
· ¼ cup thinly sliced Maui or yellow onion
· ½ cup chopped green onions (green parts only)
· ⅛ teaspoon gochugaru (Korean red chili powder)
· 1 tablespoon finely chopped toasted macadamia nuts
· 2 cups steamed rice for serving
1. In a bowl, combine the cubed ahi, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, Maui (or yellow) onion, green onions, gochugaru, and toasted macadamia nuts and gently toss with your hands or a spoon. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.
2. Serve over rice and enjoy immediately.
Source: “Shoyu Ahi Poke”. Recipe. www.abeautifulplate.com. N.p. 11 Jun. 2019. Web. Sept. 2022.
By Recipe Contributor