These bite-sized pretzel nuggets are delicious by themselves or paired with mustard or a cheese dip.
· 1 bottle (12 ounces) amber beer or non-alcoholic beer
· 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
· 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
· 2 tablespoons sugar
· 1 ½ teaspoons salt
· 4 – 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
· 10 cups water
· 2/3 cup baking soda
· 1 large egg yolk
· 1 tablespoon water
· Coarse salt, optional
1. In a small saucepan, heat beer to 110°-115°; remove from heat. Stir in yeast until dissolved. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 425°. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 8 balls. Roll each into a 12-in. rope. Cut each rope into 1-in. pieces.
4. In a Dutch oven, bring 10 cups water and baking soda to a boil. Drop nuggets, 12 at a time, into boiling water. Cook for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
5. Place on greased baking sheets. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water; brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to a wire rack to cool.
Source: “Soft Beer Pretzel Nuggets”. Recipe. www.tasteofhome.com. N.p. 10 June 2020. Web. 6 March 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!