Flaky pastry and warm apple filling makes this a delicious, any-time treat!
*This recipe makes 3 strudels in 3 - 9x13- inch pans
· 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour (may need more or less flour, till stiff but not sticky)
· 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
· 1/2 tsp salt
· 1/2 tsp baking powder
· 2 tsp ground cinnamon
· 4 lg eggs, well beaten
· 3/4 cup butter, margarine or shortening, butter flavor
· 3/4 cup whole milk
· 1 cup dairy sour cream
· 2 tsp vanilla extract
· 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
· 3 lbs. granny smith apples, cored and sliced thin, divided (about 7 to 9 apples)
· 1 cup raisins, divided
· 1 cup sugar, divided
· 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon, to taste
· 3 Tbsp butter, melted, divided
· 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 400˚.
2. Dough: Mix flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, buttery flavored shortening, and eggs to soft consistency. Add flour a tiny bit at a time, if more is needed then add until not sticky just tacky. Dough is ready if you can put your finger in the dough and it comes out clean and not sticky. Knead dough about 10 minutes. Do not over mix or dough will be tough. Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Grease bowls and put a piece of dough in each bowl, turning to grease top. Let set for about 1 hour covered.
3. Peel apples. Butter 3 - 9x13-inch cake pans (any 3 pans - if they have sides, will do).
4. Mix the sour cream, sugar, vanilla, and milk together in a medium bowl until gravy thin. Set aside. Next, lay out a clean dish towel. Sprinkle with a bit of flour. Roll or stretch out 1 piece of the dough very, very thin as possible. About 1/8 inch thick (don't worry about edges, you can cut them off).
5. Combine apples, raisins, sugar, and cinnamon and mix well.
6. Using a pastry brush spread 1/3 of the cream mixture on the dough.
7. Using 1/3 of the apple mixture spoon mixture on one side of the dough the long side. Drizzle on some melted butter.
8. Roll up like a jelly roll. Tuck in ends. Place in one of the prepared pans.
9. Brush top with cream mixture, so top does not get crusty. Cut a few slits over top. Set aside.
10. Repeat directions with the remaining doughs.
Bake in 400˚ oven for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 350˚ and bake for about 45 minutes more.
Source: “Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel)”. Recipe. www.justapinch.com. N.p. Web. 30 Aug. 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Products you buy through our links may earn us a commission which allows us to bring you more great travel content and giveaways.
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!