Beer gives these apple fritters a depth of flavor that will tickle your tastebuds.
· 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
· 1/4 cup plus 7 tablespoons granulated sugar
· 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
· Kosher salt
· 2 large eggs separated
· 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter melted
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1/2 cup beer (lager or pilsner)
· 1 large firm baking apple such as Granny Smith, Mutsu, or Crispin
· Peanut oil for frying
1. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, butter, and vanilla. Whisk in one third of the flour mixture then one third of the beer to the egg yolk mixture, just until combined. Add the rest of the flour mixture and beer in two additions and whisk well to combine. Set the batter aside at room temperature to rest for 30 minutes.
3. While the fritter batter is resting, peel, core, and slice the apple into ten 1/8-inch-thick rings. Spread out the rings on a large plate. Stir together 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture over the apple slices. Let the slices sit for 20 minutes to soften and absorb the sugar.
4. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, and gently but thoroughly fold them into the batter.
5. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together the remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
6. Add enough oil to a deep-sided skillet or wide pot to measure 2 inches. Heat the oil to 375°F (190°C). Working in small batches, dip the apple rings into the batter to coat both sides, and fry, turning once, until the apple fritters are golden and crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain the fritters on paper towels for a few seconds, then toss the fritters in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve warm.
Source: “Autumn Apple Fritters”. Recipe. www.leitesculinaria.com. N.p. 30 Nov. 2009. Web. 5 June 2023
By Recipe Contributor
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!