This light, sweet coconut cloud cake is a perfect dessert to serve anytime.
For the Seven-Minute Frosting
· 3 large egg whites
· 1 ¼ cups sugar
· 5 tablespoons cold water
· ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cake
· 1 cup sifted cake flour
· 1 ½ cups superfine sugar
· 14 large egg whites (1 ¾ cups), room temperature
· 1 tablespoon warm water
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Topping
· 3 to 4 cups flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven and sift cake flour and sugar: Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a fine sieve, sift together flour and 3/4 cups sugar four times.
2. Beat egg whites: In the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed, beat together egg whites and water until foamy. Add salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Increase speed to medium-high and sprinkle in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff but not dry.
3. Sift dry ingredients over meringue:
Transfer to a large bowl. In six additions, sift dry ingredients over meringue, folding in quickly but gently.
4. Transfer batter to tube pan: Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan with removable bottom. Smooth top with an offset spatula. Run a knife through batter to release air bubbles. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown and springy to touch.
5. Invert pan over bottle to cool: Invert pan on its legs or over the neck of a glass bottle, and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
6. Make frosting: In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over a saucepan of simmering water, combine egg whites, sugar, water, and cream of tartar. Cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, until sugar is dissolved, and mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
7. Beat frosting and add vanilla:
Attach the bowl to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the mixture on high speed until glossy and voluminous, about 7 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
8. Release cake from pan:
Carefully run a long offset spatula or knife around the inner and outer perimeter of the cake pan to release cake.
9. Slice cake and spread icing over bottom layer: Place on a plate, bottom side up. Using a long-serrated knife, carefully slice off 1 1/2 inches from the top of the cake, being sure not to break the layer. Set aside. Cut out a 1-inch-wide, 1-inch-deep channel halfway between the center and edge of cake. Spread icing into channel and over entire layer. Sprinkle with coconut.
Add top layer and spread with frosting:
Gently place reserved layer on top and ice with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with coconut and serve immediately.
Source: “Coconut Cloud Cake”. Recipe. www.marthastweart.com. N.p. 1 June 2023. Web. 11 July 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Products you buy through our links may earn us a commission which allows us to bring you more great travel content and giveaways.
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!