This Hawaiian comfort food is a favorite of the locals and can be found in many eateries around the islands.
· 16 cups water (4 quarts)
· 1 tablespoon salt
· 1 (8 ounce) package dried Japanese soba noodles
· 4 cups chicken broth
· 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
. 2tablespoons soy sauce
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, add water and salt; bring to a boil. Add soba noodles and boil 4 to 6 minutes until al dente. Remove from heat, drain, and rinse under warm, running water.
2. In a large pot over medium-high heat, add chicken broth and ginger; bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add soy sauce and your favorite toppings; simmer for 5 minutes longer or until toppings are cooked. Remove from heat.
3. Place cooked soba noodles in a large soup bowl; spoon broth mixture (with toppings) over the top and serve.
· Spam, sliced
· baked ham slices
· roast pork, slices
· carrot, sliced
· green cabbage, shredded
· bok choy, chopped
· mushroom, sliced
· green peas
· egg, Scrambled or fried
· green onions or scallion, sliced
· cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
Source: “Hawaiian Saimin Soup”. Recipe. www.food.com N.p. Web. Sept 2022.
By Recipe Contributor