With a slightly sweet breading fried to perfection that’s easy to eat, these Homemade Corn Dogs are quite a treat!
For the Corn Dogs
· 12 hot dogs, we used turkey hot dogs
· 12 sticks
· Peanut oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil for frying
· Ketchup and mustard to serve
For the Batter
· 1 1/2 cups fine yellow corn meal
· 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
· 1/4 cup granulated sugar
· 1 Tbsp baking powder
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
· 1 large egg
· 1 Tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
· 1 Tbsp honey
1. Pour 2-3” of oil in a large pot or Dutch oven and heat to 350˚F over medium heat.
2. Pat dry with paper towels. Insert sticks into hot dogs.
3. Whisk together dry ingredients (corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt). Whisk together wet ingredients (buttermilk, egg, 1 Tbsp oil and honey). Combine wet and dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
4. Pour batter into a drinking glass almost to the top and dip hot dogs. Put corndog straight down into batter and give it a little twirl to fully coat the hot dogs then swirl as you lift up. Let excess drip off.
5. Hold corn dog at an angle in the hot oil for 5-7 seconds to let it seal then drop into oil (this keeps them from sticking to the bottom of the pot).
6. Fry 3 minutes or until golden brown. Fry up to 2-3 at a time (so you don’t drop the temperature), turning them as needed to brown evenly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Source: “Homemade Corn Dogs”. Recipe. www.natashaskitchen.com. N.p. 16 Oct. 2020. Web. 21 Feb. 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!