Instant Pot Apple Butter
Apple butter is a great addition to any meal – as a spread on toast or dinner rolls, combined with brie for a sweet and creamy snack, or spread on a cheesecake slice to elevate a luscious dessert.
· 4 pounds large apples, cored and chopped into small pieces
· 1 cup granulated white sugar
· 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
· 1/2 cup water
· 2 cinnamon sticks
· 2 tsp ground cinnamon
· 1/2 tsp sea salt
· 1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. In a 6-quart instant pot add all of your ingredients and stir to combine.
2. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the knob to the “sealing” position. Press the manual mode on the instant pot and set the time to high pressure for 10 minutes. (It will take about 15 minutes for the pressure to build up inside of the Instant Pot.)
3. Once the time is up on the Instant Pot, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then turn the knob to "venting" and allow the rest of the pressure to release.
4. Remove the cinnamon sticks, then use an immersion blender to puree the apples until smooth.
5. Press the sauté function on the instant pot followed by the "adjust" button to turn the heat to "less." Place the lid back on top of the instant pot but do not screw it back on. Leave it slightly open to allow steam to escape. Stir every 10 minutes until the apple butter thickens, about 45 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot and allow to cool.
6. The apple butter will thicken even more as it cools. Store in sterilized glass jars in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Slow Cooker Version: In a 6-quart slow cooker add all of your ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or until the apples soften. After cooking for 2-3 hours, remove the lid and stir. Replace the lid but leave slightly open and continue to cook on the low setting until the apples are super soft, dark in color, and the liquid has reduced and thickened, around 8 hours. Remove the lid and remove the cinnamon sticks. Use an immersion blender to puree the apples until smooth. It will thicken even more as it cools.
Stove Top Version: Combine all of your ingredients in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Use a wooden spoon to toss all of your ingredients together. Cover with a lid and bring the mixture to a simmer. Uncover the pot, reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the apples are soft and mushy. Remove the apples from the heat and discard the cinnamon sticks. Using an immersion blender, puree the apples for a few minutes until they are super smooth. Return the pan to the stove and cook for an additional 15 minutes over low heat stirring occasionally until the mixture is thick and all the liquid has evaporated. It will thicken even more as it cools.
Source: Source: “Instant Pot Apple Butter.” Recipe. www.belleofthekitchen.com. N. p. Aug 2021. Web. 31 Aug. 2022. <https://belleofthekitchen.com/>
By Recipe Contributor
Did we miss one of your favorites? Reach out to WinniWanderer@winni.com or follow us on our Instagram or Facebook page.