Sweet and citrusy, this Lemon Italian Ice is a treat to keep you cool during the long innings of a ball game.
· 4 cups water
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
· 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
• Gather the ingredients.
• Bring the water to a boil. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
• Allow the water to cool. Add lemon zest and juice and stir to combine.
• Pour the mixture into a baking pan and place in the freezer.
• Gently stir the crystals every 30 minutes or so and leave until all of the liquid is crystallized but not frozen solid, and the mixture is smooth—about 3 hours. When you can no longer stir the mixture, scrape it with a fork as it begins to freeze.
• Scoop into small cups to serve.
• If you find that the lemon Italian ice has become too hard, use a large metal spoon or fork to scrape the mixture and break up the ice crystals. Serve immediately.
• You can make this recipe ahead of time if you like and store in the freezer, covered, for up to 4 days.
• If you prefer your Italian ice slushy, remove from the fridge sooner once it has reached your desired consistency.
• Do not use bottled lemon juice for this recipe, and when zesting the lemon be careful not to include the white pith; both will leave the Italian ice tasting very bitter.
Source: “Lemon Italian Ice”. Recipe. www.thespruceeats.com. N.p. 28 Dec. 2022. Web. 7 March 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!