Both sweet and savory, a Monte Cristo sandwich is a delightful bite for brunch!
· 4 slices wide sliced white bread
· 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
· 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
· 6 slices ham
· 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
· 2 eggs
· 1 Tablespoon butter
· powdered sugar optional as garnish
· raspberry jelly or jam optional for dipping
1. For each sandwich, spread mayo on one slice of bread and mustard on the other slice.
2. Layer cheese and ham on the mayonnaise side of the bread.
Suggestion: Layer the cheese and ham in a way that there is cheese in between each slice of ham. This way when the cheese melts it holds everything together.
3. Place mustard side of bread over the ham and cheese to close the sandwich.
4. Whisk eggs in a shallow dish.
5. Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet, coating the bottom of the pan.
6. Using gloved hands, place the sandwich in the whisked egg. Turn the entire sandwich over to coat both sides of the bread. Repeat for the second sandwich.
7. Place both sandwiches in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip sandwich to cook the other side, another 2-3 minutes.
8. While cooking the sandwich, pressing down gently with a spatula can help brown the bread more evenly.
9. If you like, sift some powdered sugar over the sandwich and serve with raspberry jelly.
Source: “Monte Cristo Sandwich”. Recipe.www.amandascookin.com. N.p. 10 July 2023. Web. 11 July 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!