A chocolate-hazelnut lover’s dream!
· 1¾ cups All-purpose flour
· ½ cup Hazelnuts Finely Ground
· ⅓ cup Crystal Sugar
· 1 large Egg
· ⅔ cup Unsalted Butter Cold
Honey Hazelnut Topping
· 2 cups Hazelnuts Peeled
· ⅔ cup Unsalted Butter
· ⅔ cup Crystal Sugar
· 3 Tbsp Honey
· ⅔ cup Dark Chocolate
1. Combine flour with salt, ground hazelnuts and sugar. Place on a clean working surface and form a small hole in the center. Roughly grate the cold butter and place it around the flour. Crack the egg into the center where the hole is. Using your thumb and index finger, rub the butter into the flour mixture and egg. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. While the dough is cooling, combine all the honey Hazelnut topping ingredients in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat and keep stirring. As soon as the mixture boils take it off the heat and allow it to cool to almost room temperature.
3. Preheat the oven without convection at 200˚C or 390˚F. Roll the shortbread dough out to a quarter inch or 0.5 cm thickness into a rectangle. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the dough on the baking tray. Now spread the cooled nut mixture evenly over the shortbread dough. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Note the edges might get a bit darker so watch that they don't burn. Cut into triangles while still hot, then set aside to cool before dipping in chocolate.
4. Using a small saucepan and a heatproof bowl, make a warm water bath and melt the chocolate in the heatproof bowl and place on the saucepan of water. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of coconut oil to thin the chocolate. You can set 20% of the chocolate aside to temper. Simply stir the remaining chocolate (off the heat) into the molten chocolate until dissolved. Dip the corners of each nussecken and set on a piece of parchment paper to set. Once set, the nut triangles are ready to be enjoyed.
Source: “Nussecken”. Recipe. www.myurbantreats.com. N.p. 19 Oct. 2020. Web. 8 Aug. 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!