Peruvian Quinoa Soup
Warm and hearty, this Peruvian Quinoa Soup is full of flavor. Serve with bread for a delicious meal.
· 1 Tablespoon olive oil
· 1 large onion, diced
· 1 large leek, white and light green part only, washed well and thinly sliced
· 1 large stalk celery, diced
· 2 carrots, cut into medium chunks
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 cup sweet potatoes peeled, cut into ½” chunks
· 1 1/2 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
· 1 white turnip peeled, cut into ½” chunks
· 1 teaspoon cumin
· ½ – 1 teaspoon chili powder or ancho chili powder*
· 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
· ¼ cup quinoa
· ¼ – ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
· 1/2 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
· 1–2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
· chopped tomatoes or red peppers for garnish (optional)
1. In a medium soup pot, heat oil on low heat. Add onions, carrots, leeks, and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
2. Add in the garlic. Sauté 1 minute more.
3. Add the sweet potatoes, turnips, cabbage, cumin, and chili powder. Stir to coat the vegetables with the spices.
4. Sauté 1 minute until spices are fragrant.
5. Add stock and quinoa. Bring to a boil. Turn down until just simmering and cook until quinoa is cooked about 15 minutes.
6. Add salt the last 5 minutes of cooking.
7. Add apple cider vinegar, to taste.
8. Taste to adjust salt and chili powder.
9. Add parsley and serve garnished with chopped tomatoes or red peppers.
Source: “Papa Rellena: Peruvian Stuffed Potatoes”. Recipe. www.thespruceeats.com. N.p. 11 Oct. 2021. Web. 1 Nov. 2022.
By Recipe Contributor
Did we miss one of your favorites? Reach out to WinniWanderer@winni.com or follow us on our Instagram or Facebook page.