Toasted rye, tangy sauerkraut, melty cheese, and Russian dressing envelope corned beef for the perfect Reuben.
• 2 slices seeded rye bread, thinly sliced
• 3 ounces corned beef, thinly sliced
• ½ cup sauerkraut
• 1-ounce Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
• Spicy brown mustard or Russian Dressing* (see recipe below)
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
• Pickles, for serving
*To make Russian Dressing:
• ⅓ cup mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons ketchup
• 2 tablespoons pickle relish
• 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• ½ teaspoon coarse salt
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Combine the ingredients for the Russian dressing in a small bowl. Dressing can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week.
2. Place one slice of bread on work surface and top with the corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese. On the other piece of bread, spread one side with Russian dressing or spicy brown mustard. Place dressing-side down on top of Swiss cheese to form a sandwich.
3. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to the pan and place the sandwich on top of the melted butter. Cook until golden, pressing down with a spatula, about 2 minutes. Lift the sandwich from the skillet and add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter. Toast the other side of sandwich until golden and the cheese has melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with pickles.
Source: “Reuben”. Recipe. www.marthastewart.com. N.p. 16 May 2017. Web. 9 May 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Did we miss one of your favorites? Reach out to WinniWanderer@winni.com or follow us on our Instagram or Facebook page.
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!