Paired perfectly with a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich, this roasted carrot soup will warm you up.
· 2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1½ inch pieces
· 2 fennel bulbs, with fronds removed and cut into wedges
· ½ white onion, sliced
· 4 garlic cloves left whole
· 1 tbsp honey (if not using Alaska carrots)
· ½ tsp cayenne
· 1 tsp cumin
· 1 tbsp whole fennel seed
· Fresh thyme, 5-6 sprigs plus more for garnish
· Salt and pepper to taste
· 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
· ⅔ cup heavy cream
· ½ lemon, juiced
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add the whole fennel seed to a dry Dutch oven or oven-safe pot over medium heat and stir occasionally until seeds are very aromatic but not burnt.
3. Add a few tbsp of olive oil and the carrots, fennel wedges, onion, garlic, and fresh thyme. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne and cook for about four minutes, stirring to ensure even cooking.
4. Add 3-4 cups of water or until the water comes to about ½ inch from the top of the vegetables. Allow water to boil off until only a ½ inch of water remains (about 15 minutes).
5. Transfer the Dutch oven, uncovered, into the oven and roast vegetables for 30 minutes. Transfer the pan back to the stovetop over medium heat and deglaze with the chicken stock, making sure to get all the good bits off the bottom of the pan.
6. Using a stick blender or an upright blender, puree the soup until smooth, add cream, lemon juice, and honey. Taste for seasoning. If the soup is too thick you can add a little more stock or cream to thin it out.
7. This soup is a great light lunch or a first course. Garnished with creme fraiche and fresh thyme, served alongside a grilled cheese sandwich with brie and pears works perfectly with the earthiness of the soup.
Source: “Roasted Alaskan Carrot Soup”. Recipe. www.alaskamagazine.com. N.p. 2 Mar. 2021. Web. 28 Mar. 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!