Peruvian Hot Chocolate is infused with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and anise which gives it a fragrant pop of flavor to accent the rich chocolate.
· 1 cinnamon stick
· 2 cloves
· 1 piece orange peel dried, about an inch long
· 1 Star anise
· 1 pinch nutmeg
· ½ cup water
· 2 cups prepared whole milk 240 ml
· ½ cup evaporated milk
· 3 tablespoons Peruvian bitter cocoa
· 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
· 1 teaspoon instant coffee
· sugar to taste
1. Gather ingredients
2. Place a small pot on the stove over medium heat, add half a cup of water and immediately add the spices. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, and star anise.
3. Cook the spice infusion half covered over low heat for at least 10 minutes. Turn off the stove, remove from the heat, and strain the spices. Discard the spices and preserve the infusion.
4. Return the infusion to the pot and dissolve the dark chocolate and instant coffee in it, whisking with a hand mixer.
Source: “Peruvian Creamy & Spicy Hot Chocolate”. Recipe. www.eatperu.com. N.p. Web. 2 Nov. 2022.
By Recipe Contributor