Sicilian Fish Stew
Comforting and savory, this Sicilian Fish Stew will warm you up and kick that seafood craving to the curb.
· extra virgin olive oil
· 1 large yellow onion, chopped
· 2 celery ribs, chopped
· Salt and pepper
· 4 large garlic cloves, minced
· 1/2 tsp dried thyme
· Pinch red pepper flakes
· 3/4 cup dry white wine
· 1 28-oz can whole peeled plum tomatoes, juice separated and reserved
· 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
· 1/4 cup golden raisins
· 2 tbsp capers, rinsed
· 2 lb. skinless sea bass fillet, about 1 1/2-inch thick, cut into large cubes
· 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves; stems removed
· 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts, optional
. Crusty Italian bread for serving
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and a little salt and pepper (about 1/2 tsp each). Cook, stirring regularly, until softened (about 4 minutes). Add thyme, red pepper flakes and garlic and cook briefly until fragrant (about 30 more seconds).
2. Now, stir in the white wine and reserved tomato juice from can. Bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid is reduced by about 1/2. Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, raisins, and capers. Cook for 15-20 minutes over medium heat until flavors combine.
3. Pat the fish dry and season lightly with salt and pepper. Insert the fish pieces into the cooking liquid and give everything a gentle stir so that the fish pieces are nicely covered in the cooking liquid. Bring to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and cover. Let sit off heat for another 4-5 minutes so that the fish will finish cooking. Fish should be flaky when gently pulled apart with a paring knife. Finally, stir in the chopped parsley.
Ladle the hot fish stew into serving bowls, top each with a few toasted pine nuts, if you like. Serve with your favorite crusty bread! Enjoy!
Source: “Sicilian Fish Stew”. Recipe. www.themediterraneandish.com. N. p. 4 Sept. 2020. Web. Sept. 2022.
By Recipe Contributor
Did we miss one of your favorites? Reach out to WinniWanderer@winni.com or follow us on our Instagram or Facebook page.