Sicilian Pasta alla Norma
This classic Sicilian pasta dish is the perfect side dish, or star of an Italian feast. Hearty sauce blankets pasta and eggplant to give it the delicious flavor.
· 1 large aubergine
· 255 ml extra-virgin olive oil, (240 ml for frying + 15 ml for the sauce)
· 1 garlic clove
· 5 whole canned plum tomatoes
· ½ cup 120 ml of warm water or the juice of the canned tomatoes
· 4 basil leaves
· a pinch of brown sugar or a bay leaf
· Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
· 350 g penne or spaghetti pasta
. 3 tablespoon ricotta salata cheese, grated
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Finely cube the eggplant, and pat the cubes dry with paper towels.
3. Heat 1 cup (240 ml) of extra-virgin olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Fold in the eggplant in a single layer and fry it until it’s crispy and golden on both sides, about 4 minutes.
4. Remove the eggplant with a slotted spoon and arrange the cubes in a single layer on a dish covered with paper towels. Dab the slices with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
5. Slice the tomatoes into half and remove their seeds. Heat a large pan with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of extra-virgin olive oil and the garlic over medium heat. Fold in the tomatoes and stir-fry them for 5 minutes. Stir in ½ cup (120 ml) of warm water, 2 basil leaves and a pinch of sugar (or bay leaf), cover with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes. Discard the garlic (and bay leaf if using) and season the sauce with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
6. Lightly salt the boiling water, fold in the pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and add it into the pan with the tomato sauce, followed by the fried eggplant cubes and the remaining basil leaves.
Stir all the ingredients together, sprinkle the ricotta salata all over the pasta and serve.
Source: “Sicilian Pasta alla Norma”. Recipe. www.thepetitecook.com. N. p. 15 Jun. 2020. Web. Sept. 2022
By Recipe Contributor
Did we miss one of your favorites? Reach out to WinniWanderer@winni.com or follow us on our Instagram or Facebook page.