Smoky, creamy red lentil soup will help warm you up and keep you cozy as the weather turns chilly!
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· half of an onion, minced
· 2 carrots, peeled and minced
· 2 stalks celery, minced
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
· 1/2 teaspoon cumin
· 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
· 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed
· 5 cups vegetable broth
· one 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
· 1–2 cups of fresh spinach, chopped
· 2 teaspoons kosher salt (more or less to taste)
· juice of one lemon
· 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
· 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
· 2 teaspoons honey to taste (optional)
For serving (optional):
· 6 pieces of flatbread, naan, or crispy socca for dipping
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery; sauté until softened, about 5-10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, spices, and lentils. Stir to combine and let it stay on the heat for just a minute to get the garlic incorporated.
3. Add the broth. Bring to a simmer; place lid partially on the pot and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice during cooking time.
4. Add coconut milk, spinach, salt, lemon juice, and season to taste. (I like a little drizzle of honey, and a couple shakes of garlic powder, onion powder, and cranks of freshly ground black pepper.)
5. Serve with socca or some other flatbread for dipping and dunking.
Source: “Smoky Red Lentil Soup with Spinach”. Recipe. www.pinchofyum.com. N.p. Web. 13 Nov. 2023.
By Recipe Contributor
Products you buy through our links may earn us a commission which allows us to bring you more great travel content and giveaways.
Be one of the first to see our insider offers, travel tips, first-hand reviews, recipes from around the globe, exciting vacation giveaways & more…straight to your inbox!